Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Memories of No. 11

I can't think about an ACU football game against Angelo State without thinking about the Wildcats' unbelievable comeback victory over the Rams in 2004. That year, Danieal Manning completely altered the offensive and special teams schemes of Wildcat opponents all year.

Punters would rarely punt to him, quarterbacks wouldn't consider throwing to his side of the field and ground attacks usually went to the side opposite of the all-American safety. It didn't stop him from making plays.

ACU was down 25-15 with six minutes to play at Shotwell Oct. 10, 2004. Manning had already returned a punt for a touchdown in the first half prompting the Rams punt the ball out of bounds every time after. However, on a fourth down with six minutes remaining, head coach Gary Gaines stuck Dawon Gentry and Manning deep to return.

Gentry fielded the punt and appeared the he would run a reverse to Manning to get the spectacular returner the ball, however, he faked the pitch and proceeded to scamper in for a 73-yard score. Then on the ensuing possession, the Rams tried to run out the clock. However, on a 3rd-and-one Manning stripped the ball from ASU's running back, scooped the ball up and scored his second touchdown of the day to seal a 29-25 victory over the Rams.

One of the many spectacular performances from the current Chicago Bear. Manning had early success with the Bears and started in the Super Bowl in 2006 at free safety for Chicago in their loss to Indianapolis. He split time at corner and free safety last season, and this season he's Chicago's nickel back and second team kick returner.

A week ago he sacked future hall-of-famer Donovan McNabb on Sunday night football (pictured). I found this article interesting (Chicago Tribune), especially since he expressed his faith in an interview about his reduced role with the team.

Here is one of his quotes:

"My faith, my hard work, and just trying to be the ballplayer that I am, I let that all take care of itself," Manning said. "God's always going to make a way for me, regardless. I just have to keep putting the work in."

When watching Manning at ACU, he seemed to be a man among boys playing on the field. To me he made more impact than any Wildcat I've seen since I've moved here in 1990. I've seen a lot of football games since then. With the 2008 Wildcats in action, it could be aruged that any number of these No. 3-ranked ACU players make that kind of impact. Namely Bernard Scott, Billy Malone, and Johnny Knox. I think for me its hard to make the comparison because the 2008 team makes it seem so easy. I was away from ACU during the 2006 and 2007 seasons working at McMurry - I kept up with the Wildcats through reading and saw several times where Scott came up huge, but didn't witness it personally.

On the other hand, Manning and Gaines' Wildcats were often in a struggle just to win ball games, and Manning seemed to make huge plays when the spotlight was on.

I'm sure that I'll see those opportunities in the future for the "Big Three" in the coming weeks when the competition will undoubtedly get tougher (Angelo, Tarleton, Kingsville, Midwestern, WTAMU).

No comments: